Monday 5 January 2009

Barbie's 50th Birthday


I don't think that I've ever purchased a copy of the telegraph before but at the weekend I noticed the it's magazine peeking out from the paper in my local newsagagents. It had the most amazing cover featuring a huge crop of the first Barbie in her black and white swimsuit. I had to buy it!! Inside was an article all about Barbie's 50 year rein, some good some bad but all together very interesting.

I loved Barbie as a child, I wanted to carry on playing with them till I was at least 11, I think my mum had to tell me to stop.... Perhaps it explains my fascination with drawing doll faced girls.

As well as sharing the cover with you I thought I'd also share some interestings facts:

Barbie was based on a German doll called Bild Lili,
Lilli was based on a prostitute from a German adult cartoon!!!

Barbie has 12 hairdressers and 50 designers, lucky girl!

Barbie has so far tackled more than 100 careers ranging from air stewardess to palaeontologist, aerobics instructor to Marine Corps sergeant.

Barbie’s designers have included Armani, Givenchy, Calvin Klein, Donna Karan, Dior, Versace and Vivienne Westwood.

If Barbie were a real person her measurements would be 38-18-34, her legs are 50 per cent longer than her arms (it’s 20 per cent for the average human), which means she would be unable to walk. Her feet are so small that the weight of her chest would tip her on to her toes. To look like Barbie, a real woman would need to be 2ft taller, take 6in off her waist, add 5in to her bust and 3in to her neck.

....and to her half-centenary, global events will include 50 designers presenting Barbie-inspired clothes at next month’s New York Fashion Week.

I actually have the 80's remake of the cover featured doll, picked her up for 20p at a car boot sale... I want an original though, her hair is much cooler!

No comments: