Sunday 10 August 2008

Tim Walker – Pictures

I finally got round to visiting the Tim Walker - Pictures exhibition at the Design Museum featuring over 100 of his photo's. I loved it, so inspiring, so magical, I especially loved the intro monologue to the exhibition. This was displayed as a letter from him, describing how he loved to visit a fancy dress shop in Hammersmith near where he lived when he was a boy. He describes the shop as being owned by Turkish sisters and having rail upon rail of fantastical costumes that enter you into a dream world. Suddenly it all makes sense! Often I find artists inspiration and sketch books and so on just as interesting if not more than the final product. This exhibition really gives you an insight into the world of Tim Walker. The cabinets of his sketch books were my favourite:






The exhibition also featured some of the giant props he uses and a video featuring a photo shoot with the ethereal Karen Elson. How I would love to spend a day on one of his shoots, the whole operation just looks amazing, so many beautiful clothes, props, sets, it's almost incomprehensible, I would love someone to make a documentary on him.


And finally the Photo's, wanted to buy a print but the pics they had were my least favourite boo hoo... none the less I left feeling very inspired and as if I was leaving magical world full of toy's, giants, clowns and princesses!




No comments: